Monday, February 24, 2014


DIALOG: COMPLIMENTING
Task 1:
Read the dialog carefully.

Rahmi    : Hello. How are things going on, Sinta?
Sinta      : Hi. Good, and you?
Rahmi    : I’m feeling great today. How was your weekend with your family in Batu?
Sinta      : Excellent! We had a lovely time there. You should have gone there with us.
Rahmi    : Really? Hey, what a beautiful skirt you are wearing. It matches your blouse.
Sinta     : Thanks a lot. My sister bought it for me last month.
Rahmi    : Wow! That’s wonderful.
Sinta      : Oh, Rahmi, can I ask you something?
Rahmi    : Oh, sure. Please.
Sinta      : Have you finished writing the book we discussed two months ago?
Rahmi    : Yes. Come to my room. Look at this. What do you think?
Sinta      : Terrific. I like the cover. Let me see the contents. This book is excellent. You really did a great job.
 Rahmi   : Thanks a lot. You’ve inspired me to do this.
Sinta      : Your publisher should send it to all bookstores here.
 Rahmi   : Yes, you’re right. The publisher will do it for me.
Sinta      : Well, that’s great. I am proud of you, Rahmi. By the way, I’ve got to go now. Have a nice day!
Rahmi    : You, too.

Notes:                                                  

COMPLIMENTING

Compliment is an expression to appreciate or praise other people. Compliment is useful to give encouragement so that people will keep on doing their best and even improve their performance.

When to express compliment:
- On general occasion,
- When someone has done his/her best,
- When you visit someone’s house for the first time,
- If you notice something new about someone’s appearance.

Can you think of other situations when you need to compliment?


DIALOG: SHOWING CARE
Read the dialog carefully.
Today Imran is not feeling well. He is staying at home. He has just received a sympathy card through an email from his sister who lives far away in Singapore. The card says, “Sending you sunny smiles, warm wishes, and healing thoughts . . . Hope today finds you feeling much better!” 
Many of his friends also come to his house.
Rama   : You look so pale. I bring you some soup, fix you some tea and bake you some treats. Hope you recover soon.
Imran  : Thanks a lot. What a lovely friend you are! I really appreciate that.
Rido    : I’d also water your plants and tidy your room.
Imran  : Thank you very much. I’m glad you do it for me.
Ramon: To help you feel better, I’d fluff up your pillow and straighten your sheets.
Imran  : I am so grateful to you. You’re the best friends I have ever had.
Notes:
Showing Care/Sympathy
Sympathy expression is an expression or feeling of pity and sorrow when we know and see people are unlucky, have trouble, or are in bad condition. For example, our friend is sad because his/her grandfather is sick. We can entertain him/her by showing sympathy. By expressing sympathy, we want to show our concern or care for other people’s condition.
            The purpose of expressing sympathy is to comfort people who have trouble or are in bad conditions. It is also aimed to let people know that we care for them. We can express sympathy directly to him/her orally by saying something supportive. In this way, we let our friend know that we know about his/her sadness and we let our friend know that we care and want to help him/her. If the person who is introuble is far from us, we can send him/her a letter, postcard, short message service (sms), or email to show our care/ sympathy.

2 comments:

Visitors

JATENG PINTAR

Pembahasan Soal

Labels

Speak up!

Pages

Blog Archive