Wednesday, July 1, 2015



Modal to express ability

Modal verbs are shall, can, will, may, could, should, would, and might.

Positive

Negative
I



can drive

I



can’t drive
(cannot)
You

You
They

They
We

We
He

He
She

She
It

It

·         Subject + can + verb                               Subject + can’t (cannot) + verb
Question

Short answer



Can
I



drive?


I

you


you

they

Yes,
they
can.
we

No,
we
can’t.
he


he

she


she

it


it


The use of modal “can” is:

a.      To talk about what someone can or can’t do:
I can swim.
I can’t swim.

b.     To express a request.
Can you close the door, please?
Can you turn on the fan, please?
Would you mind not leaving the door open?

Responses :
OK
Sure
Sorry, I can’t.

 Dialogue.

Agha and Naufal are talking about something when Asif approaches them.
Asif      : Hi, what are you two talking about?
Agha   : It’s about our plans for Sunday.
Asif      : Wow! What are you going to do?
Naufal : We are going to have a city tour.
Asif      : That sound great. Can I go with you?
Agha   : Are you serious?
Asif      : Of course. Why?
Agha   : We will start the trip early in the morning. It means you have to get up early. Can you do that?
Asif      : Well, I’m not sure about that. I usually get up late on Sundays.
Naufal : If you can’t get up early, then you can’t join us.


References :
Kementerian Pendidikan dan Kebudayaan. 2014. Bahasa Inggris, When English Rings a Bell SMP/MTs Kelas VIII. Jakarta : Pusat Kurikulum dan Perbukuan, Balitbang. Kemdikbud. Hal. 148 -155.

Zaida, N. 2014. Practise Your English Competence 2. Jakarta : Erlangga.
Zaida, N. 2015. BUPENA Buku Penilaian Autentik for SMP/MTS Grade VIII. Jakarta : Erlangga. 
 

0 komentar:

Post a Comment

Visitors

JATENG PINTAR

Pembahasan Soal

Labels

Speak up!

Pages

Blog Archive